Menu

Vintage Sewing Machine Table Makeover without Refinishing/Painting

I was just about to leave the thrift store and go home and cry and BOOM.  There it was.  A gorgeous vintage sewing machine table looking straight into my brown eyes.  Do I sew?  No.  Do I want to learn how to sew?  No.  Do I love vintage furniture, especially at a fantastic price, yes.  Here’s the scoop —->It was priced $49 and I had a 35% off coupon.  SCORE!  Sold to the lady with red hair for $32.  Welcome to my “Vintage Sewing Machine Table Makeover Without Refinishing/Painting”…

Don’t forget to download Redhead’s e-book 30 Thrift Store Makeovers HERE!

Check out this Vintage Sewing Machine Table Makeover without Refinishing/Painting! She used 3 very inexpensive products and it looks brand new! No refinishing required!

I have to be totally honest and tell you that I actually wanted to use this vintage sewing machine table as a vanity for my husband’s “shaving nook” for our upcoming master bathroom makeover.  I pictured a small modern white square sink set on top like we did here and thought it would be perfect in the sewing machine “hole”.  Well, the vintage sewing machine table sat in our garage for months.  Shame on Julie.  Then, a couple weeks ago we were moving some things around in the garage, and I asked my husband his thoughts on my wild vanity shaving nook idea.  He was not thrilled at all, so I pouted a little bit and then I made him help me bring it inside  😆 .  Mind you, I had completely forgotten that it actually still had a sewing machine inside of it.  How could I forget that???  I’m getting old you guys.

MY LATEST VIDEOS

That night I decided to clean it up (photo above is AFTER).  The wood is just so beautiful, I had (have) no intentions of refinishing it.  I honestly feel it is stunning the way it is and I love the vintage wear and tear.  It just needed a little cleaning, touch-ups, and polishing (see below for exact tutorial and products used).

Above you can see how even the inside is in great shape.  After my 4-step furniture makeover process it looked brand new.  How do you like those baluster legs?  Va-va-voom!

Here’s the full package…

Please feel free to educate us all below in the messages on vintage National Rotary sewing machines if you are knowledgeable in that category.  Is this worth anything?  I may not know a lot about sewing machines, but I know beauty when I see it.  Between the stain color, the details in wood workmanship, and the curves on that sewing machine I feel I have the Marilyn Monroe of thrifty sewing machines right here!

Unfortunately, I didn’t take a before photo of all the angles, but I did remember to get the top.  Below is what it looked like straight out of our garage.  See the paint in the upper left corner?  I got it off.  See the scratches?  I made them blend in and add a vintage “feel”.  See the dull stain?  I shined that right up-without refinishing!

And after…

Doesn’t it look fantastic?  I absolutely LOVE the scratches.  I really do.  They add charm that a new piece just doesn’t hold.  Kind of like my face.  Well…it’s true.

You might be wondering what the heck I’m going to do with a beautiful polished vintage sewing machine table since I don’t sew 😀 .  I just happen to have just the spot for it at the end of our teal blue velvet sofa.  You see…I’m making a few changes to our front living room, and this is the first step.  I have lots to show you including a lamp makeover (okay there’s actually 2 lamps), a very large new mirror I placed above the velvet sofa (see below), new colorful rugs, and I took down my silver platter wall and tried something similar.  So, stay tuned.  Oh, and I better not forget to tell you that I am painting our dark built-in shelves white!

*** Some of the links in this post may contain affiliate links for your convenience.  Read full disclosure policy here.

Here’s how I did it and the products I used are highlighted in blue so you can easily order them on-line if interested.

HOW I REFINISHED WITHOUT REFINISHING-4 SIMPLE STEPS

1. Use THIS PRODUCT to clean off any paint or sticky stickers.  It took literally seconds to get the paint off with this and a cloth.
  2. Clean the wood and every nook and cranny top to bottom including the legs and inside by spraying a dry cotton cloth with THIS SPRAY and clean off any dust, grime, or dirt.
  3. Color every single scratch, or nick with THIS PRODUCT.  Chose the color that suites your stain the best.  After you color it in, wipe with the cloth you just used to clean the table with.  Repeat if necessary.
  4. Polish the entire piece 3 times (let dry 30 minutes in between) with THIS PRODUCT and a cotton cloth.  Let it dry 24 hours before placing lamp or other decorative pieces on top.

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmail Tags: , , , , , Posted by Signature for Julie at Redheadcanedecorate.com

1. robert urtel says:

A good pick, I love it, Dad in NY.

2. ColleenB.~ Tx. says:

Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.
    Glad you didn’t paint over that beautiful wood and them legs; Stunning.
    You have one outstanding sewing machine cabinet (is that wood cabinet oak?)and better yet, still has the sewing machine to go with.
    The National Sewing Machine Co. made these machines for Sears and Montgomery Wards. While Sears didn’t stay loyal to suppliers, Montgomery Wards did, so your machine is very likely one sold through them.
    Depending on the actual model, it may be as old as the 1800’s or as ‘new’ as the early 1950’s.
    Your machine with cabinet could run into the hundreds.

3. Sue says:

Beautiful and what a bargain, you did a great job!!

4. Becky says:

So nice to see a piece NOT painted!

5. Kyle says:

That makes a wonderful end table! It has a wow factor going on! My husband just finished a lamp he redid. Love it and working on an old bar, so cool! Nice job girl!

6. Julie says:

WOW! WOW! WOW! this piece is striking and beautiful and what an awesome job in restoring it! KUDOS my dear!

7. Sharon Greer says:

You did a good job; it looks great. Glad you didn’t paint it.

8. Kathy Grey says:

I have one of these in a hidden corner of my living room. ☹️ I have looked at it and wondered how I could fix it up. Now I know!! Thanks

9. Cate says:

How gorgeous is that, Julie!! Thank you for not painting it. It’s wonderful.

10. Cyndi says:

Lovely sewing table. Great job. What would you have done if the table top was veneer. I have an old pedal singer but the top is veneer and some pieces have broken off. I also have an old desk with a veneer pull down with a few pieces of veneer gone… but need advice in redoing it too. Thanks in advance.

I am stuck on this one. Could you add wood on top of it and stain that? Search “Vaneer repair” on Pinterest. Hope you find a good answer!

11. carol bittner says:

Very nice item; you kept it in its original state and I love that!!! The cleaning and polishing is all it needed; brought out the natural glow of the wood. Looks SO NICE along with your blue velvet sofa. Thanks for sharing, I really like it alot.

12. Maria C says:

Great Fine! Very nice sewing machine and table. I have a National Sewing machine. Is your machine in working order? Did the accessories come with the sewing machine? They are very difficult to obtain. National was making the sewing machines from the late 1800’s to mid-century 1900.

Maria, the plug is there, but it doesn’t look safe to use. I would need to have someone fix that first. I dont really have plans to use it, but maybe my daughter might in the future. She is a sewer!

13. va in nc says:

Just love it As well as everything you do! Keep filling me with
    projects I dream about.

14. Chris says:

Beautiful!

15. Kelly Mahan says:

What a wonderful makeover! I was thinking about doing something like this to my sewing table, but I was afraid to. Now I can’t wait to start the project!

16. […] likes it, how about you?  I feel it looks fantastic on the vintage sewing machine table I saved a few weeks ago, and it almost matches my new blanket perfectly ? […]

17. Ivory says:

Wow, fabulous, and the location of it is perfect. I love what you did. What a lovely piece to own

18. Lisa Hendrix says:

As I collect sewing machines in cabinet, I APPLAUD your not painting this beautiful cabinet! After buying several in need of STRIPPING oil based paint!! ARRGGHH!! BEAUTIFUL JOB!! As to the sewing machine, she’s a later model from the ’40’s to ’50’s. Rotary style sewing machines are my favorite! They sew everything and are rugged!! FYI! If not being used for the moment, place e a piece of foam or padding between the rubber tip on the motor to save it from an indent that will give it a rough sound when running it. Should you need to replace it, find a medical supply house that sells black, cone shaped stoppers for beakers. Bore out a hole to fit the end of motor. Electric wire replacement is easy. Srveral good YouTube vids. Seems scary the firdt time, but you’ll wonder why you were so afraid!!

19. […] CLICK HERE TO VIEW THRIFT STORE SEWING MACHINE MAKEOVER […]

20. Linda says:

That is a really nice vintage sewing machine. I have a similar machine. I gotta recommend that you see if she works and give sewing a try. It looks like someone recently took care of it, so it may not take much to resurrect her. Next thing you know you’ll be redecorating all your window treatments, pillows, and who knows what else.

21. john clayton says:

thanks for not latexing it.