Welcome to part #2 of “Redhead’s Light & Easy Spaghetti Dishes for Two” which is focused on helping couples (or individuals) cook light & easy pasta dishes at home without a lot of fuss, crazy ingredients, or calories. I promise all of the recipes are extremely simple, and I’m not into weird ingredients 😆. I’m sharing part 2 today and I’m calling it “Tomato & Olive Spaghetti for Two”.
Tomato & Olive Spaghetti for Two
Tomato & Olive Spaghetti for Two is one of the dishes I make (for just the 2 of us ❤️) that my husband craves the most! That makes me so happy because I’m not Italian (I’m Polish & Irish), so for my Italian husband to dream about my spaghetti is literally fantastic. By the way, always feel free to add chicken or shrimp to this dish because it will add some tasty depth, and protein which keeps us full longer.
Before we get to the simple Tomato & Olive Spaghetti recipe, I wanted to mention why I’m doing this pasta for two series…
Here’s All the Benefits from Redhead’s Light Pasta Dishes
- These low calorie spaghetti dishes taste fantastic, and are satisfying (they will fill you up).
- I have done all the leg work for you for these delicious recipes through testing/measuring in my own kitchen with my own husband 😊.
- You will save money using what you have in your fridge for these yummy spaghetti dishes.
- Huge time savers during a busy work week.
- You won’t get overly full with these dishes and crash like you might if you over eat pasta like I was doing.
- It only takes one skillet. Clean-up is quick.
- Heart healthy.
- Very low calorie at 225-300 calories per serving which will help weight loss (see weight loss story below).
- Happy people.
Redhead’s Light & Easy Tomato & Olive Spaghetti for Two Recipe
- 4 ounces spaghetti
- 1/2-3/4 cup homemade tomato sauce
- splash of reserved pasta water or chicken stock
- cooking spray
- 5 big mushrooms sliced thick
- 2 cups fresh clean spinach
- 14-16 black olives (basic or kalamata)
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- salt & pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese (sprinkle on top)
In a large non-stick skillet (one that can boil pasta in) fill with 2 inches of salted water and bring to a boil.
While waiting for the pasta to cook (al dente-so go 1 minute under what box recommends) prepare your sauce if not prepared previously. I use my husband's homemade pizza sauce recipe because it is very tasty and perfect for this (it is located on my blog under recipes).
Strain pasta, but do not rinse, and set aside (reserve a little pasta water on the side to add later for a more slippery textured pasta).
Add a little cooking spray to same pan and saute the rinsed sliced mushrooms lightly for 3 minutes until very sweaty. Add the fresh clean spinach and let it reduce a minute or 2 until bright green, and not over cooked. Salt & pepper it all a little.
Add the hot/warm pasta back into the pan and keep it on very low heat.
Then, add the sauce, olives, and cherry tomatoes and toss until noodles are covered with sauce and. everything is hot enough (it should not take but a minute). If the spaghetti seems sticky, add the reserved splash of pasta water.
Serve hot (or room temperature is good, too!) in a pasta bowl and sprinkle with fresh Parmesan.
Amount Per Serving Calories 280Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 6mgSodium 1451mgCarbohydrates 44gFiber 10gSugar 11gProtein 16g