I’ve been listening to folks talk about how they have put on weight over the last year during the pandemic, and my husband and I are certainly no exception. I mean, it’s been a very stressful time and there’s nothing more comforting than eating treats, especially when we can’t leave the house 😖. About half way through January we finally said to ourselves, “NO MORE PIE!”
Welcome to “Redhead’s Light & Easy Spaghetti Dishes for Two” which is focused on helping couples (or individuals) cook light & easy pasta dishes at home without a lot of fuss, or calories. I promise all of the recipes are extremely simple, and I’m not into weird ingredients 😆. I’m sharing #1 today and I’m calling it “Oil & Cheese Spaghetti for Two”.
The History Behind Redhead’s Light & Easy Spaghetti Dishes for Two
If you follow along here at redheadcandecorate.com and are a subscriber to my weekly newsletter, you already know that I struggle with weight loss every year. This past year has been a bit more frustrating because right before the pandemic hit I had a mini-tummy tuck and lipo on my 20 year old cesarean “pouch”. I was in good shape weight wise, on my way to being exactly where I wanted to be, and BOOM. PANDEMIC EATING HIT 😖. Did you start over-eating, too? See all the high calorie recipes I was making then HERE.
About 1/2 way through this past January 2021, Rick and I were both at our heaviest weight ever (except when I was pregnant). We had a talk, and decided lowering our calories, and increasing our calorie burn, is the way we wanted to get the weight off. Through the process, one of the easiest ways I found to reduce calories is by measuring our pasta servings. Yep, it’s true!
Oil & Cheese Spaghetti for Two
The struggle is real when making a tasty pasta dish for two (or one). I always seem to add in way too much pasta (I usually do the entire box and eat what I feel like 😖) and that is a ton of calories I don’t want or need.
This new “Light & Easy Spaghetti” series removes the guess work out of portion control, and shows how simple it can be to make a yummy pasta dish without all the extra calories. I have literally done all the testing for you, and these quick satisfying recipes should be enough to feed 2 adults, or 1 adult twice (you can always double it for 4 guests, too).
*** Some of the links in this post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. Read full disclosure policy here.
Before I explain how easy it is to measure the pasta, I need to tell you what brand I use, and why. Ronzoni Smart Taste Spaghetti has 180 calories per serving, which is 20 calories less than most other pastas. It’s also loaded with protein, fiber, and vitamin D (this is not a sponsored post just me sharing my secrets). It also tastes fantastic, and cooks perfectly to al dente!
Measuring Pasta for Light & Easy Spaghetti Dishes for Two
Here’s one of the best tips I have EVER WRITTEN pertaining to weight loss. Start measuring your food so you know you aren’t exceeding the serving sizes you desire. After 3 months of measuring our pastas, baked potatoes, meats, breads, etc. my husband and I have lost a total of 27 pounds. This food scale was actually a gift to me from my family last Christmas and I can’t believe I have gone so long without one. Below you will see how much spaghetti I actually use for this recipe (two 3 ounce servings used and photoed below) .
After you measure the pasta, you will have time to prepare the remaining ingredients. I should mention that I also reduced the amount of oil I usually use which dramatically cuts calories. I also use additional ingredients that are naturally low in calories.
I’m going to sum the benefits for you below, so you can get to trying “Redhead’s Light & Easy Oil & Cheese Spaghetti for Two” maybe even tonight. Stay tuned for recipe #2 coming soon…
Here’s All the Benefits from Redhead’s Light & Easy Spaghetti Dishes
- These spaghetti dishes taste fantastic, and are satisfying.
- I have done all the leg work for you for these delicious recipes through testing/measuring in my own kitchen with my own husband 😊.
- You will save money using what you have in your fridge for these yummy spaghetti dishes.
- Huge time savers during a busy work week.
- You won’t get overly full with these dishes and crash like you might if you over eat pasta like I was doing.
- It only takes one skillet. Clean-up is quick.
- Heart healthy.
- Very low calorie at 225 calories per serving which will help weight loss.
- Happy people.
Oil & Cheese Spaghetti for Two Recipe
- 6 ounces Ronzoni Smart Taste Spaghetti (it has fewer calories, and higher protein than most)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach (more if you prefer)
- 5 big mushrooms sliced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese (sprinkle on top)
- In a large non-stick skillet (one that can boil pasta in) fill with 2 inches of salted water and bring to a boil.
- While waiting for the pasta to cook (al dente-so go 1 minute under what box recommends) prepare your garlic & mushrooms.
- Strain pasta, but do not rinse, and set aside (feel free to reserve a little pasta water to add later for a more creamy textured pasta).
- Add olive oil to same pan and saute the garlic & mushrooms lightly for 3 minutes.
- Add the hot pasta back in to the pan, and add in the lemon juice & spinach. Toss in heated pan with a little salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve in a pasta bowl and sprinkle with fresh Parmesan.
Amount Per Serving Calories 225Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 2mgSodium 244mgCarbohydrates 31gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 3gSugar 2gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 8g