Menu

Chicken Loretta

I made Aunt Loretta’s chicken last night and I just can’t resist taking the time today on my day off to share it with you because it was just so incredibly moist, tender, and flavorful. Oh, and EASY!  You see, Aunt Loretta is a fabulous Italian cook in our family and I’ve learned many cooking tips and recipes from her in the past 30 years.  I remember falling in love with not only her nephew, but her chicken years ago 😆 .  I never got the written recipe from her ( I will do that next time I see her), but my husband and I have come up with our own version that really comes very close to hers.  So, now you know why we call it “Chicken Loretta”.

This "Chicken Loretta" recipe is the most tender flavorful chicken I have ever made so easily!

You will find this to be one of the easiest (and affordable) chicken dishes you will ever create for your family and everyone will be asking how you did it.  We use boneless, skinless chicken thighs.  This may be scary for some folks because they are afraid that their is too much fat in chicken thighs.  Well, we take care of that by cutting off the fat before we cook it, and remember these are already skinless.  The remaining fat “melts” away as you cook it.  Trust me!  Also note that chicken thighs are one of the best cuts of meat at a lower price than dried out expensive chicken breasts.

MY LATEST VIDEOS

The above photo shows 10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs after I trimmed all of the extra fat from each one.  Then I got them all snug in a sprayed pan right before I brushed them with mayo.  The mayo will add incredible flavor.

Above is how they look after everything has been sprinkled on top before they slide into the oven for 45 minutes.

Just look how amazing they look after they are done!  I usually serve “Chicken Loretta” with mashed cauliflower potatoes, and my favorite green beans.

Chicken Loretta

Yield: 5-10

Chicken Loretta

Ingredients

• 10 skinless boneless chicken thighs
  • mayonnaise
  • Italian style bread crumbs
  • parmesan cheese
  • oregano
  • basil
  • paprika
  • salt & pepper

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray large baking dish with cooking spray.

Trim each chicken thigh of all fat as best as you can with kitchen sheers. The fat inside the creases is fine and will melt away.

Put all chicken thighs into baking dish and it's okay if they are snug.

Brush mayonnaise on the top of each thigh so there is a thin coating like it shows in image above.

Sprinkle on a thin layer of bread crumbs on top of chicken thighs.

Sprinkle on a thin layer of parmesan cheese on top of chicken thighs.

Season the top only with a little oregano, basil, paprika, and salt & pepper.

Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees (uncovered).

Serve hot or cold!

Enjoy 😉

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmail Tags: , , Posted by Signature for Julie at Redheadcanedecorate.com

1. ColleenB.~ Tx. says:

That looks Fantastic and even this early in the morning it’s making me hungry.

2. JaneEllen says:

Yummmm, sure sounds and looks luscious. We’re frequent chicken eaters so this would make a wonderful alternative to how we usually cook our chicken, always baked. Glad you shared this today.
    Have you shared how to make mashed cauliflower potatoes? Would love to try those.
    Happy New Year, have wonderful week.

3. robert urtel says:

Dad says we are making it real soon, Dad in NY.

4. Penny says:

Looks delicious – trying it tonight! Any chance you could share Aunt Loretta’s meatball recipe? Thank you ?

5. BETTE QUERIN says:

Hi Julie:
    I have made a dish like this only I used tomato paste mixed in with mayo and some Italian seasoning. Turned out very yummy.
    Cheers, Bette

6. Pam Beck says:

Love this recipe and can’t wait to try it! We love to grill out chicken in better weather, but this is perfect for cold nights! And….speaking of weather, I know you all are so used to so much snow, but here in the South not so much. BUT today is SNOW DAY here in North Carolina! Got out of work due to weather, just doesn’t get any better! Gonna check the pantry for ingredients, just may have to have some Chicken Loretta tonight! Take Care!!!

7. robert urtel says:

I made it, it turned out great, easy meal to prep in advance and put in frig to be ready to pop in oven for dinner try it, Dad in NY ps Mom even liked it.

8. Nan, Odessa, DE says:

I do all this but place fresh spinach and motrozzi cheese inside the chicken, tie it together, dip this iin oil, Italian crumbs, and bake. This is easier.

Can’t I lay my spinach UNDER the thighs and follow your recipe?

9. Ivory says:

This looks totally amazing. I usually don’t cook on Fridays and Saturdays, but after seeing this post, I will be having this tomorrow

10. Rhonda says:

Hi! This was delish! Well – I went to make it and didn’t have everything so I ended up substituting! So – if you like lemon & dill – I used lemon dill aioli (instead of mayo) Didn’t have Italian breadcrumbs so used plain Panko. Didn’t have Parmesan cheese, so left it out. Replaced oregano with dried dill. But baked it the same! Lol! Seriously though – i can’t wait to make Loretta’s version! (My comprise Chicken Loretta was pretty good!!)

Sounds great, Rhonda! Good to know we can sub things! I actually think the addition of lemon on my version would kick it up!! Maybe I’ll try that next time ?

11. Pam Wyant says:

Hi Julie…I made this dish last night and it was delicious! Thanks for the easy and yummy chicken recipe. It tasted even more fantastic when I had it for leftovers the next day!

12. Linda says:

Can you use chicken breast instead of thighs??

13. Sara says:

Do you have a rough estimate of the calories per thigh?

14. Crissy says:

This chicken was amazing! I used breasts and they were perfect and juicy at 30 minutes. I wondered why there were no measurements but you just sprinkle everything on, it was so easy. I served it with loaded mashed potatoes and carrots. Can’t wait to make this one again, thanks for the recipe!

Awesome, Crissy! Good to know it works with breasts. What temp did you have them at? I can always use my digital thermometer though. And yes, no need to measure. Just sprinkle ?

15. This is my new favorite chicken recipe! I actually used it on tilapia too this weekend and it was just as good! Thanks for the quick, easy, and delicious recipe!!!

16. […] Click here for recipe: Chicken Loretta Recipe […]

17. Can I make this with chicken breasts?

18. Mary Kaiser says:

Thanks for the great recipe and the chance to win the cook book stand. You are awesome.

19. Jenifer says:

Could I substitute the Mayo with plain Greek yogurt?

20. Nikk says:

Can I use thighs with the bone and skin?

21. Rhonda says:

Love this recipe. I have made it a few times lately and everyone loves it. Having friends over tonight and cooking a double lot so we can have left overs for a few days

22. Karen says:

What kind of mayo do you use or do you use Miracle whip

23. Kathleen says:

I made this last night and my husband and I absolutely loved it.

24. Miranda says:

Excited to try this! But am curious if I could be able to sub the mayo with avocado mayo?

25. Paula says:

This sounds so good! I like chicken thighs better than chicken breasts because to me they are tastier and stay moist. I’ll be making this very soon!

26. YUMMY! I literally just printed this to make. We eat a lot of chicken and love it when I have all the ingredients!

27. Mary Beth says:

Oh, Julie, this looks so good! I am always looking for new chicken recipes and I can’t wait to try this one.

28. Victoria says:

I made this a couple of nights ago and it was delicious. I used 8 chicken thighs bone in and cleaned off the skin. I used my own measurements 2t each oregano,basil and paprika, 1t salt 1/2t pepper.. Instead of sprinkling on top I coated the meat with the seasoning and followed the the rest of the recipe. Juicy tender and delicious and with hardly any fat I used the juice from cooking for dipping.. DEFINITLY making again..

29. Melissa says:

Hi,
    Is there anything else I can use to substitute mayo I don’t eat mayo ?

The mayo makes it! It’s the salt & fat in the mayo. I suppose brushing on olive oil and a few more seasonings might work!