Menu

Old T-Shirt Heart Wreath

*****Before we get started, please let me know in the comments if you wish to be added to my weekly Redhead Can Decorate Newsletter.  It’s free and it arrives in your e-mail once per week!

My hubby has this bottom drawer full of white under shirts.  He wears one almost every day, especially on work days under his dress shirt.  Then he usually wears it to bed.  These things really get a work out.  Eventually, after washing them over and over…they start to lose that fresh look.  They also start to get holes.  Not sure how that happens, but lets just not go there.

MY LATEST VIDEOS

Richard painting

I needed white fabric for this idea I had for a heart wreath.  I knew some of his shirts were on their last leg, so I grabbed one.  Had no idea how awesome this would work.

Presenting my Hubby’s “Old T-Shirt Heart Wreath”…

Old T-Shirt Scrap Heart Wreath

I decided a white heart would be just as pretty as red, or pink.  Possibly even prettier because it would be unique.  When I was making it, it reminded me of a cake.  This thing looked like a cake!! (maybe I was just hungry)

Easy Heart Wreath

Every picture I took looked gorgeous.  Who knew an “Old T-Shirt Heart Wreath” could be so photogenic?

And to think…this was my hubby’s SHIRT!!!

Hubby + Shirt + Heart + Love = Heart Wreath

Make a cute wreath out of your hubby's old t-shirt!

So, this is how I did it.

Supplies:

• 1 old white cotton t-shirt (I used almost 1 large shirt for this heart)
  • Make it Fun® Foam from Floracraft® (1 sheet, 1 inch thick) (found at Jo-Anns, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, AC Moore and WalMart)
  • Floracraft®StyroCutter Plus (to cut the foam) (found at Jo-Anns or Michael’s) -or serrated knifepsd
  • 1 sharp tool, like a nut picker, or a screw driver
  • sharp scissors
  • ribbon to hang
  • glue or push pins
  • permanent marker

How to cut foam board with a FloraCraft Styro Cutter

This Floracraft®StyroCutter Plus was so fun to use. It melts the foam and makes it easy to cut perfect shapes.

T-Shirt Heart Tutorial

Instructions:

• Draw your heart on the foam with a permanent marker by tracing one or doing it free hand.  It doesn’t matter if you mess up, because no one will see that part.
  • Cut the shape you desire with a serrated knife or a Floracraft®StyroCutter Plus (see above).
  • Cut your fabric squares with sharp scissors, but they don’t have to be perfect-see photo.
  • Insert the fabric with your sharp tool by centering it on the fabric and pushing it in about 1/2 inch into the foam.
  • Fill in entire heart, including the sides, I left the back plain.
  • Tie a bow with white ribbon and make the ends long enough so you can glue them to the back.  I actually used push pins to get mine to stick.  5 push pins on each end did it.
    Easy Heart Wreath (made from old t-shirt)You can see my other “Make it Fun® Foam Wall Art Challenge” project here: “Electric Love Sign“.

How to transform an old t-shirt into a pretty wreath!

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmail Tags: , , , , , , , , , , Posted by Signature for Julie at Redheadcanedecorate.com

1. This is so much fun, Julie! Being surrounded by boys I can assure you we have PLENTY of old t-shirts around here! Pinned!

2. Chas Greener says:

This is fantastic! I love the use of husband’s old shirts, add some of our kids shirts and it can become a family heart of love as well.

I believe I am on your email newsletter list, and I would like to continue getting them. Thanks for all the fantastic ideas!

3. Vicky says:

Did you say how big to make the squares? This is lovely. I didn’t know about the Styrofoam cutter. Great new tool for my stash.

About an inch X inch…the picture shows the size I used…I know it’s hard to tell. The smaller you go, the “tighter” the inserts will look. Good luck, Vicky!

4. Mary Stewart says:

From what I can see…cute! Oh and the heart is nice too! 😉

5. Kelly says:

Very cute! I think I will make some for my sons country wedding in May!

6. Nancy says:

Absolutely adorable, and I will be making one too!!
    Huggs, Nancy

7. Heather J says:

I love this! I am thinking I love it more white than I would pink or red! It’s unique and very cute!

8. Maria says:

What a cute little project! The heart looks so sweet! I love it!

9. Judi says:

I’m excited to get started with this project. You did a great job Julie and thank you so much for sharing your ideas.

10. Sharon says:

This is so pretty, Julie! And I love that you repurposed old shirts to make something so pretty (and saves some cash, too). I’ll be sharing. Thank you!

11. Kim says:

The Valentine heart is precious . Great craft for my Granddaughters. Thanks got the inspiration !! Kim

12. Jan Rae says:

I love this heart wreath ,and the use of white t-shirts . I may make one or more for my granddaughters wedding this summer. Thanks for the idea and instructions. Jan

13. renee says:

I love this idea! I was needing a cute heart idea to hang in my cubicle at work! Thanks for sharing!!!
    Please add me to your newsletter also!!

14. Lynn Oliver says:

Oh boy have I a need for this! I could make a zillion of these things! My daughter says daddy’s t-shirts may not be white or clean enough. Should I soak in bleach first? LOVE your website and ideas. Love getting your emails.

15. B. Bobby says:

Can you show us what the back side of the heart looks like?
    It’s super cute and looks like something that can be done for a rainy day!

Thanks in advance.

16. kathy says:

Love your wreath! I would love to receive your future posts! Take care! Kathy

17. Janet Comella says:

Would love to get your wkly newsletter!

18. Tricia says:

this is such a pretty project..i made it…and it came out perfect and beautiful….i LOVE it! Thanks so much for posting on pinterest..have some scraps left over from my green foam bd..so i will make a couple smaller ones…lookin forward to more great ideas

19. Cindy says:

I fell in love with this right away. I can’t wait to try it. Once I do 1 it comes out just a nice as yours my plan is to get a bunch of my nephews tshirts & make 1 for his Mom & daughter. you see he passed Feb 17 2016 . Thank you for sharing

20. Dad says:

Clever ps Rickie is a keeper, Dad in NY

21. Gail Cooper says:

Love this clever idea, please add me to your weekly newsletter.
    Can’t wait to try it!

Hi Gail! Thank you for your kind words. I just added you to my newsletter. You will receive your first one on Saturday ;). Hope you enjoy it. ~ Julie redheadcandecorate.com

22. […] paper // t shirt heart // pipe cleaners // feathers // wood […]

23. Super cute and a great repurpose! Happy Valentine’s Day!

24. Jo says:

Love this heart. Would look so cute with farmhouse decor. Yes, please add my e-mail to your newsletter list. Thank you.

25. This is so creative Julie!

26. […] link.  Also, don’t forget to scroll down and see what all of the DIY Housewives created! Old T-Shirt Heart Wreath   An InLinkz […]