Every year when it begins to warm up I like to repurpose something unexpected into a patriotic American flag themed decor piece, and this year is no exception! However, this year, I brought some new dollar store friends with me, so be sure to check out their dollar store projects at the end of this “Dollar Store Patriotic BBQ Picnic Wreath” tutorial. I just said dollar store 4 times .
My teen girls and I stopped at the dollar store 2 days ago, so I could try to find something to repurpose. It’s like a “dollar store fix” I need to fill. Well, as soon as I walked in I spotted these gorgeous microfiber-ish red and white checkered kitchen towels. I ended up taking all of them, lol. I knew I could make a wreath out of them, I just didn’t know exactly how it would work, but I was feeling confident. Once I designed the idea in my head I collected all of my supplies (mostly at the dollar store).
Here’s what I came up with…
What do you think of this patriotic cutie? Is it too “corny” (pun intended)? Possibly too “Mary Ann from Gilligan’s Island-ish??? This is the way I look at it: we have the red & white checkers which symbolize the traditional picnic style red & white checkered table cloth, and then we have the cooking & eating BBQ picnic accessories to give it some pizazz. Oh shoot, I just remembered I forgot to add a plastic fork in there, but you get the idea, right? With Memorial Day approaching this weekend, the red, white, & blue theme is absolutely perfecto. I can actually keep this gem up on our front door for a couple months taking us through the Fourth of July. Cool beans.
Some of the links in this post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. Read full disclosure policy here.
If you would like to make a “Dollar Store Patriotic BBQ Picnic Wreath” for your own front door, here’s how you do it:
(TIP: Almost everything can be found at the dollar store except high lighted supplies.)
(8) 15×25 red & white checkered kitchen towels
14 inch metal wreath frame (They don’t always have these at the dollar store order here if needed.)
4.5 yards 1 inch thick white ribbon (Cut into 10 inch strips.)
good fabric scissors
blue star ribbon (Purchase on-line here.)
2 corn diggers
American flag toothpick (or a small American flag)
strong glue (I use this glue)
1. Cut all 8 towels in 1/2 so they are approx. 12 inches in width.
2. Fold over the edges like this:
3. Gather the fabric and wrap it around the wreath (like photo below) base so only the red & white checkers show. Smoosh it so it wrinkles up a bit.
4. Tie 1 of the white 10 inch ribbon strips around the towel with 2 knots. Then fluff it all a bit.
5. Once you’ve made it all the way around (it took me 15 wraps to get all the way around, but you can certainly use more if you want to smoosh them closer together), it’s time to glue on your accessories. I started by gluing the spatula to the towels and let that dry for a few minutes. Then I added the tongs with more glue.
6. After the spatula and tongs are dry, secure both by tying the blue ribbon around it into a bow like you tie your sneakers.
7. Add the bottle opener by sticking it in there and gluing it to the towels as best you can. Add the corn diggers and flag with just a little more glue. Allow to set over night before hanging with more ribbon.
TIP: I like to make a little ” fish tail” at the end of the ribbon by folding the ribbon in 1/2 and cutting off a diagonal corner. BOOM.Posted by