Menu

Vintage Mason Jar Lamp

Big news!

Eight of us have formed a new style team called the “Thrifty Style Team”…be sure to check out all of our thrifty styling at the bottom of this post.

Thrifty Style Team

I have a sweet memory of lying on my Mom & Dad’s bed as a young girl watching my Mom “get ready” in front of her big dresser & mirror.  The wooden dresser had a large top drawer full of make up, hair pins, and little boxes that she would fill with her cherished fashion jewelry.  She would allow me to go in the drawer and play with it all.  What a dream.  I was very careful and always put everything back right where I found it.  I still remember in detail where everything went.

On top of her dresser were 2 “hobnail milk glass” lamps resting on both sides of the long white runner doily that she had on top to protect the wood.  I remember the lamps well, and adore hobnail milk glass when ever I see it today.

Recently, I came across this vintage hobnail white milk glass lamp that was missing the hurricane part.  It was only $1.99, so I grabbed it knowing I could certainly do something fun with it.

hobnail vintage lamp

I tried a few different glass hurricanes, but one night the Mason Jar idea came to me, so I tried different colored jars until I realized clear was best.  Boom!  My “Vintage Mason Jar Lamp” was born…

Vintage Mason Jar Lamp

*** Some of the links in this post may contain affiliate links for your convenience.  Read full disclosure policy here.

It was like a match made in heaven.  I used a medium sized vintage bulb because a normal sized bulb was too large.

Vintage Mason Jar Hobnail Light

Then all I had to do was slip on a 1 pint size Mason jar.   That’s it.

I love the little antique key switch…see it?

Vintage Hobnail Lamp Makeover

It makes a perfect night light in our dark hall…and it also works double as a catch all.  It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Do you have any hobnail milk glass in your home?

Vintage Mason Jar Lamp Idea

Don’t forget to visit my friends from the new “Thrifty Style Team”…Thrifty Style Team Faces

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmail Tags: , , , , , , , , , Posted by Signature for Julie at Redheadcanedecorate.com

1. Liz says:

Very pretty.

2. Rosie says:

I have a milk glass wall lamp that I put a pretty frosted glass flower shaped globe from a fan light. The normal hurricane globe wouldn’t fit it.

3. Amazing, my friend. I just love the GLOW this gives off…and I’m in awe of how easy it was to put together. You’re such a genius!

4. shelley says:

LOVE milk glass…I even have that same lamp….now I didn’t get to pay less than 2 bucks…I think I paid 10….also no shade…so I wonder what shades they actually came with…I took the lamp around to several lamp stores…at one I finally had to tell the sales woman…rather rudely I am sorry to say, that I didn’t need her help, as her selections were either way to big or an ugly color…and didn’t look right….she just wouldn’t back off….never found a shade out and about…came home and there was the perfect one sitting on another lamp….LOL….
    so there you go….I guess I need to start shopping at home first…lol

• Julie Fiato says:

Hi Shelley! That is a funny story. I saw a “hurricane” one that was also milk glass for $15 on Etsy. A bit steep, so we both did good! Now you can switch your’s out if you like 😉

5. Vanessa Hunt says:

Such a sweet memory of your mom and what an AWESOME project! Love it!

6. Melissa S says:

Wow, I really love that, and I just saw a lamp exactly like that without the shade for $1.50 today. I may have to hit my thrift store again tomorrow.

7. Laura Stark says:

I did the exact same thing with my Mom. The dresser and placement of small items was just as you described but her hobnail lamps were at her bedside. It was eerie reading your description, right down to the linen runner with hand embroidery. Maybe you and I are sisters?! ???

8. Sara says:

I’m obsessed with white milkglass; I love this project and will be on the lookout for something similar 🙂

9. Mechelle S says:

Love it!!
    Educate me please. Does that bulb get very hot? I have
    little ones around.

Thanks!!

The jar gets warm, but won’t burn you. It would be best to test it out with the bulb you use.

10. JaneEllen Jones says:

Can imagine how many people have one of these lamps as I do. Was pretty popular little lamp in it’s day. Since I too love milk glass have one roaming around in my “stuff” somewhere.
    As soon as I can find it and get a vintage style bulb will be making it into mason jar lamp.
    Think will be pretty to put on guest bathroom counter for little bit of cute lighting. This is absolutely one of my favorites of all projects you did with mason jars.

11. […] CLICK HERE: GORGEOUS WHITE HOBNAIL LAMP BASE MAKEOVER […]

12. Kathy A says:

As a kid (66 now), I had 2 of those lamps with milk glass shades with pink roses painted on them. That began my love affair with pink roses and milk glass. They were 1 1/2 books each of S&H green stamps and I was afraid that my mother would get me the lamps that were only 1 1/4 book apiece! Well, I got my choice and had them for years! The shades eventually got broken; never found identical replacments but milk glass shades were not hard to find. Thanx for reviving the memory!

13. Tanya says:

I’ve had that lamp for years and the shade broke. This is a excellent idea. I thought maybe with a blue led bulb. Lovely. Thank you.