After 10 months of blogging, even though I don’t know you personally, I am becoming very attached to you, my followers. It’s a funny relationship we have because honestly, if you don’t know me in real life, you only get to know what I decide to tell you. Rather sneaky aren’t I? 🙂
When I follow a blog, I find it more interesting when I know personal tid bits about the author. It helps me find a connection and brings me back, or keeps me away. What am I really like in person? Do I just sit around and decorate and blog all day? Do I exercise? What’s my favorite movie? Do I open doors for the elderly? Do I drive like a maniac? Hmmmmm…
Here’s a list of 25 random things you may or may not know about me, you may not really care to know about me, or you may think you are better off not knowing about me…to help you, well, know about me.
1. Who’s my main squeeze? This guy, Rick. We met in college in our dorm elevator. The love of my life for almost 25 years. He’s my rock, he’s my partner in crime. He’s also the one that hangs all the light fixtures and eats all the food in the pictures 🙂
2. Our 2 girls…nothing brings me greater joy than being their Mom. I disagree with some that say you can’t be friends with your children. You can’t get in otherwise. You just need to find that line.
3. I am not a dog lover. I am a cat girl, head to toe. MEOW!…Poor Dude…he’s our rescued Lab…trust me, he’s treated like a king.
4. I thought I wanted to be a teacher. Graduated with my BS in Elementary Education, substituted for years. Then, it took me years to be able to admit to myself and others that it wasn’t what I wanted to be.
5. When Rick and I first moved in together I fantasized about having my own cooking show. I confessed this to him, and he didn’t laugh. Too bad blogging wasn’t around yet.
6. My family struggled making ends meet when I was growing up. Somehow, my parents always found a way to keep all of us fed. I often think this is why I enjoy cooking and feeding everyone. I love sharing dishes with friends & family.
7. I LOVE NASCAR…Ryan Newman #39 to be exact. I did the “Ride a Long” and went 170 mph around Daytona 3 times. That’s pretty fast guys. What a RUSH!!!!
8. I had a crush on Kojac & Captain Kirk in the 1970’s as a young girl. lol!!!
9. I have a major fear of flying. If and when I fly I must be heavily intoxicated.
10. I will never get use to living away from my Sisters. It sucks.
11. I get severely cranky when I am hungry. I turn into some strange monster Julie that I don’t even know.
12. My favorite magazine is Ballard Design. I am inspired there a lot.
13. I fell down a steep hill while vacationing (thinking I was) saving my daughter from a fall (she was fine). I twisted my ankle. We call that hill, “Mama Twisted her Ankle Mountain” now. It’s amazing what you will do on instinct when you think your child is in danger. Careful Val!
14. I use my heated mattress pad religiously and my husband and I sleep in on the weekend and let the girls make themselves Pop Tarts….zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
15. I detest clothes shopping, and getting dressed up. My go to outfit is leggins, boots, and a flannel. I’m also addicted to a pair of big hoop earrings & Anais Anais perfume (Rick loves it!).
16. My favorite breakfast is tuna salad on a toasted bagel. Yes breakfast! YUM.
17. My idea of a night out is a bonfire in our back yard and a couple beers with my hubby.
18. I can jump on a pogo stick 80 times in a row…or at least I could last Summer…Valerie counted. I think I just figured out why my knee is giving me problems.
19. I am very shy. (our neighbor caught me jumping on the pogo stick and it was the worst feeling!)
20. My husband and I were robbed at gun point in 1991. It was one of the worst days of our life. I plan to post about it soon. Maybe I can help others be aware/prepared more.
21. Christmas is my favorite time of year. Lots of decorating with the family, Christmas music, food & wine!
22. Snow rules! I survived the Blizzard of 1977 in Buffalo, NY…I was 8. We head out every year and build igloos in our yard.
23. I drink Earl Grey tea every single morning, and now Rick is addicted too.
24. I am guilty of watching all of the “Housewives” with my heating pad, while eating Triscuits with cheese and turkey pepperoni… TMI?
25. To answer the original questions…in real life I stay at home a lot cooking, cleaning, and decorating…now blogging. Everything I do is centered around taking care of our family and our home. I stay away from unnecessary drama and live a very quiet, peaceful life. I do exercise, but need to more! I don’t have a favorite movie, but if I had to choose, anything with Sean Penn, Johnny Depp, or Robin Williams, I love. I always open doors for the elderly or whom ever is behind me and really get upset when people don’t. Grrr! Do I drive like a maniac? No. Are you crazy? I have 2 kids in the car! Do you?
Now you know me much better 🙂