Stump Table | Winter Beach Lodge Living Room Part 3

Either you notice them, or you don’t.

I happen to notice them.  How can I not notice them?  They surround me and our home.

It’s like they’re watching me.

They know my every move!

Look…I’ll prove it to you.

stump 8

stump 9

It’s like they are finding ways into our lives, and we can’t stop them.

stump 10

They’re even following me now.

This big one is trying to intimidate me by floating by our house!

Oh wait, that’s a log.

stump 12

Don’t worry though…

I finally gained control.

I showed them who the boss is.

stump 2

Mr. Stump had no choice, but to surrender.

He didn’t have a chance without the rest of them.

He didn’t know it, but we needed him to complete our “Winter Beach Lodge Living Room”.

We needed a place to set our milk and cookies.

We wanted something cheap (free), and rustic.

Here’s Mr. Stump now.

Stump End Table Redhead Can Decorate

DIY Stump Turned End Table

Stump Turned Table

Don’t be.  It was easy.

The hardest part for most would be finding the stump.

If you want one of mine, you can have it, but you’ll have to come and get it :)

For those of you that would like to try making this “Stump Table”, this is how we did it.

First, we chose a stump from our collection.

We wanted one with out bark.

We found one that is from a dead Elm tree that became a hazard in our yard.

We had no choice but to pay to have it cut down.

Side note: Have you ever watched a lumber jack cut down a tree?

It’s something you should put on your bucket list.  I was AMAZED.

This guy really looked like a lumber jack too.

Blonde, big, wearing a red checkered flannel.  It was like out of a children’s book :)

DIY Stump Table

Years later…

After my hubby carried the poor thing up to our driveway, I sprayed the heck out of it with bug spray.

We let it dry for a week, and then brushed off all of the dirt.

Then my  wonderful hubby sanded it with an electric sander.

Just enough to get a fresh, clean look.

Then we got to this part:

DIY Stump Turned Table

This baby took several coats of glossy polyurethane.

We used the entire can.

We let it dry a couple hours in between each coat.

Eventually, it looked like this with only using the glossy polyurithane.

A little slanted, but not much.

DIY Stump Table

What a beauty.  What a treasure to pass down to our girls.

My only regret is that I didn’t carve our initials in it.  I’m sure I still can though.

As you can see, it fits in perfectly in our “Winter Beach Lodge Living Room”.

I apologize for not showing the entire room, but that’s coming up next week!

Until then, enjoy a peek at the sister club chairs I found, and our jute rug.

DIY Stump Table Redhead Can Decorate

Dead Tree Stump From Our Yard Becomes End Table by

Hope you enjoyed my stump story.

I must go now, I think I just saw a stump looking in my window.  :)

PS.  Our daughter, Daphne, took this last photo.  So proud of her.

Looks like it may be a “stump’s persepective” of things before he’s a stump.  hmmm.

Daphne's photo

Sharing here:

“Best od DIY Link Party”

link party button

facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmail Tags: , , , , Posted by

1. Cyndi says:

Mister Stump looks much happier!!! Thank you for sharing..Love your ideas!

2. Julie W says:

Love it! He seems happiest when adorned with that lovely wine 😉

I know a few peeps with stump collections – I’m thinking this would be perfecto for the table-less side of the reclining loveseat. Might help alleviate the constant ‘get out of my seat, I need the table for my drink’ discussion!

3. debbiedoos says:

LOVE!~ My trees are watching me too Julie! My every stinking move:) I started showing them too..LOL! Happy weekend to you girl.

4. Dad says:

I love it, came out GREAT, love, Dad

5. Mary M. Graul says:

I so love, love, love your precious sense of humor; the stuff right out of children’s story books – munchkins indeed!
    Just bet that when your creative juices get to flowing, many beautiful results come forth, as in this case here; Mr. Stump being the perfect example. Munchkins romp and play on him when no one’s around, I’ll bet! lol
    Sadly, there is so much ugliness on face book (bad language, unnecessary nudity, etc.) bless you and your husband for being there to counteract in such creative and fun ways.

6. Dad says:

Mr. Stump came a long way in your “forest” and the ones waiting in the wings can’t wait to go where he did. This would make a great Kid’s Story and the animals and birds envy Mr. Stump also, keep going with this one. Love, Mom xx

7. ADORABLE… you and Mr. Stump!! Looks fantastic Julie!

8. Sharon says:

9. I’m “stumped” for words! Love it!

10. Karin says:

Too cute! : )’s

11. Your stump end table looks great – that’s a PIN for me!!

12. Mary White says:

My husband and son cut down an old hickory tree this summer. I had them leave the stump, its sits about 34 inches above ground.
    Now the tough decision. To add a round top to it and make it a table for the grandbabies or to bore out the center and make a flower planter out of it.
    I’m also scouring Pinterest to look for other ideas.

13. Julie, I love this…now I need to find my own stump somewhere! :)

14. I love how it turned out Julie! Can’t wait to see the room reveal! xo

15. I loooove this! If I lived anywhere near you I’d totally take you up on the offer to come pick up a stump though since we live in a new development area with hardly any trees (it’s so sad!)! I think I would paint the top of mine gold and leave the rest as-is with just the poly. It’s gorgeous!

16. Jodi Durr says:

Brilliant! Very brilliant. I totally want to go make myself one of these now. I just pinned it.

17. Meegan says:

You and your stump are amazing! Pinned, tweeted and liked :) LOVE it!!

18. Oh me Oh my, Julie!! You’ve done it again, girlfran! Your cleverness is always mind-blowing. And I love the image of the lumberjack…hilarious!

19. Patty M says:

Brilliant, Julie! I am am coveting those gorgeous white leather club chairs. Better keep a close eye on them…!

20. Bethany says:

This is terrific! This is actually something I have been wanting to do for a while now, since I saw something similar in DIY Magazine last year. Yours turned out wonderful and the colors of the wood all finished look impeccable! I am Tres Impressed! I am gonna have to go and dig through my dad’s wood pile now and make one for myself!

Thanks for the inspiration! Pinned it, also a new follow! I can’t wait to see more posts of yours!

Bethany @

21. Shelly says:

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous!!

22. nazanin says:

23. Heather says:

I have the stumps and can’t wait to try this. Thank you for the easy instructions. Now I have to convince him to help me do this!

24. […] She even looks good on our “Stump End Table“. […]

25. Stephanie says:

I love this so much. I wonder if I could find a stump here , one of these would be perfect in my home.

26. […] See how they made it at redheadcandecorate. […]

27. I love this! Beautiful and a great up-cycling project!

28. I have a stump too – the perfect place for a cocktail!

29. Love your stump story! I think I would have to wait another 25 years for our trees to be that thick (gotta love new homes).

30. Debbie says:

I have a love for stumps too! I made a couple for our dock :)

31. Katie says:

I love this! So simple and it didn’t cost you $200! Now I want one too.

32. Sharon says:

I want one! Now I need to go on a stump hunt.

33. Mary Anne says:

I love it !!!! I have to go look for a stump too!

34. Kristin says:

did your stump crack? I am doing a similar project and am worried about cracks in the wood.

No, mine has not cracked. Wood has natural cracks and openings in it. Mine has “settled” a bit but it has made it even prettier. Be sure not to use a fresh stump.

35. Jon says:

While this idea is, I must say because it’s too easy to pass up, as old as a stump :-), what prompted me to come to your site and take a look is the picture shown in our local paper. The picture in print is of a stump that includes a top with a hand saw sticking out of it. I hope this one is also yours and you can show how you created it.

36. […]  DIY stump table via Red Head can Decorate […]

37. […] Julie from Redhead Can Decorate lives surrounded by trees, so it’s no surprise that one eventually made its way into her home as a stump side table. The hardest part of this project for Julie was choosing a stump from her “collection.” She found an elm tree stump without bark and got to work debugging, cleaning, sanding, and polying. This rustic accent table is the perfect addition to Julie’s “Winter Beach Lodge Living Room.” […]

38. […] of Redhead Can Decorate has no shortage of stumps in her wooded yard.  Inspired by one of the photos in her West Elm […]

39. Becky says:

What kind of spray did you use for the bugs first? I’ve found some old wood I’d like to work on!

40. Mari says:

Wow long way from NY but beautiful indeed, I am playing with idea of moving someplace else myself so I am glad I ran into you. Great share love your blog and the stump idea I keep hoping to run into one here in Queens I could drag to my car and work on but no luck yet. A must save and try for sure thanks again:)

41. That is SO awesome Julie!! I actually like yours much better!!!

42. […] minutes with a little putty, sandpaper, and paint. So go ahead…put a hole in your wall. The “Stump End Table” was made from a log in our back yard. You’ll find more wood projects on my blog, too. […]